I have been searching for a good apple cake recipe that doesn’t involve having to grate the apples or slice it into pretty thins and laying it out in a circle. Not that there’s anything wrong with such aesthetic but when you crave for some cake of some sort for tea, you want to skip such technicalities and just dive right in. The grating part, I don’t like because you lose a lot of the apple juice, unless it’s for some other specific bakes that does require you to lose the liquids. But preferable, I like big, chunky apples in my apple cake because frankly, when it’s baked, the apples shrink and sometimes you don’t taste any apples if you cut them too small.
So this recipe is excellent for me because it checks all the boxes and it’s so easy to put together. Looking at the recipe, it is somewhat like a clafoutti but of course it is much denser like a cake. I’m glad I stumbled across this recipe and it will definitely be made again and again when I have apples at home that cannot be finished on time like when you have overripe bananas and the first thing you do with it is make banana bread.
RECIPE FOR APPLE CAKE
2-3 tart apples, peeled, cored cubed
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Half a lemon
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C. Grease and line a square pan.
2. Toss the prepares apples with the 2 tablespoons sugar and the 2 teaspoons cinnamon and the juice of half a lemon to prevent it from browning.
3. Sieve the dry ingredients together and mix the wet ingredients together.
4. Combine the two till you have a battery mixture.
5. Add the apples to the mixture.
6. Pour everything into the pan.
7. Bake for about an hour or till a skewer comes out clean when inserted into cake.
8. Cool in the pan for 10 mins and then out on a cake rack before eating.