I love my Cajun seasoning (below), they’re punchy and full of flavour and a fail-safe rub or marinade for anything. I made this a few nights ago and was feeling all classy about presentation and everything. The chicken was simply marinaded in the seasoning overnight and cooked on a grilled pan.
It is served with a side of grilled asparagus and creamy mushroom sauce. I will admit, at first I was apprehensive as to whether or not this combination would work but it turned out beautiful and delicious.
Cajun seasoning tends to be salty on its own so I suggest to completely forgo the salt on the chicken and mushroom sauce. You need something neutral or to an extent, bland to cut through that seasoning. When I say bland, I don’t mean completely tasteless but just skip the salt part.
CAJUN CHICKEN WITH CREAMY MUSHROOM SAUCE RECIPE
Chicken breasts, cut to even thickness, scored lightly
Asparagus (or any side veggies to your preference), tough ends discarded
Brown mushrooms, sliced
1. Mix a considerable amount of Cajun seasoning with sunflower oil. Enough to marinade all your chicken breasts. Pour the marinade into a sandwich bag with the chicken. Rub it all over to thoroughly coat it.
2. Leave it to marinade in the fridge for 3 hours or overnight.
3. Heat your grill pan till it’s very hot. Rub a little oil all over your asparagus, grill them in the pan. Pu aside.
4. Let the grill pan heat up again and grill your chicken next for 3 mins on first side and 2 on the other side.
3. Let the meat rest covered in foil.
4. Heat a separate frying pan with some olive oil and butter. Add your chopped garlic. Sautee for few seconds then add your sliced mushrooms. When the mushrooms become soft but not soggy, pour some cream and stir.
5. Add chopped parsley and some Parmesan cheese. Let it reduce for few seconds and shut off the heat.
6. Plate everything together with the mushroom sauce over the asparagus and chicken. You may opt to slice the chicken into strips or leave it whole. I sliced it up.