Another kid favourite. At least for my son anyway. My pantry was coming to a barren lot again and I was at loss to come up with meals of the day. I had a tray of chicken fillets in the fridge and decided to just make chicken fingers. I don’t really fancy eating fried lean chicken like this but having to make do with what was available, I piled on the herbs and spices.
I pretty much ate a lot of chicken fingers when I was in high school. That’s because it was the cheapest and most tasty thing on the menu. We had this little fast food shack near my school where us girls (and boys from the opposite school) would hang out. They serve food like burgers and fried stuff but for some reason, I always go for the chicken.
Making this dish evoked some mixed feelings. For one, it’s nostalgic and the other feels like I’ve had enough of this since I ate it all my life. But….I’m glad to say it did turned out pretty good. What’s best is that the little man had no complaints and was even happily wolfing it down with the sauce. I’d categorise this dish as the ’emergency-empty-pantry-go-to-dish’ rather than something I’d make again and again because I want to.
Back in the day, they’d serve this with fries. Actually, I think they still do but let’s just say the lazy bone took over. Besides, it’s rather filling eating 3 fillets like this.
CHICKEN FINGERS RECIPE
1 large egg
Oil for shallow frying
1. Season your chicken fillets with oregano, salt and black pepper.
2. Heat oil for frying in a shallow pan.
3. Beat the egg and prepare breading station. Sprinkle Italian seasoning into panko breadcrumbs and mix thoroughly.
4. Check if oil is in frying temp by dropping a few breadcrumbs into the oil. Coat your chicken fillets in flour and then the egg and then the panko.
5. Fry them in the oil till they’re cooked and browned evenly. Drain off excess oil on kitchen paper.
HONEY, MUSTARD MAYO SAUCE RECIPE
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
A small pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1. Mix everything together and taste. Adjust anything lacking and eat with chicken fingers.