This recipe is another no-brainer…I seem to be using that word a lot lately, maybe I should do a category of recipes that says, ‘Grey Matter….Optional‘. But I thought I’d share one of my go-to simple supper dishes. I love this jarred condiment since I don’t know how to make my own sambal yet. This stuff goes with anything…meats, veges, noodles, rice etc. But one thing that I absolutely love to pair it with is some crispy fried tofu. I chose the slightly firmer tofu because I like to have more bite and texture but it goes really well with the soft, silken type too.
Even my husband, what with his gravy and soup obsession, also finds this to be a nice eat. I don’t know if you can get this condiment internationally or something of that similar ingredients but this combination is definitely quick, easy and delicious! Give me a dish of this, plain rice with a fried egg on top, I’m a happy camper.
TOFU WITH CRISPY PRAWN CHILLI RECIPE
Semi-firm tofu (as many as you want)
A jar of crispy prawn chilli condiment
1. Take the tofu out of the packet pat it dry with paper towels. Cut the tofu into cubes.
2. Coat the tofu cubes completely with cornstarch and brush off the excess with a pastry brush. Or just shake it off with your hands.
3. Shallow fry them on all surfaces in sunflower oil. It’s best if they have a crispy outer skin but do not overcook them.
4. Drain the tofu on a rack.
5. In a bowl, scoop out some of the prawn chilli condiment, toss the fried tofu cubes with the condiment. Dish and spread more of the condiment on top.
6. Eat with plain rice or noodles!