The best mushroom soup I’ve had would be from Daves in 1-utama. Their special ingredient? Drizzled truffle oil before serving. Till I had that mushroom soup I felt I have been doing my taste buds some great injustice.
Like for example; lately the mushroom soup from this fast food chain that sells pizzas with 1 part of its name that rhymes with ‘butt’ has been tasting a lot like starchy glue. Which is sad cos as a teen, when pizzas were all the rage, I quite enjoyed their mushroom soup. But I guess to cater to higher demands, they compromise in food quality. My speculation (and this is just speculation in case I get a lawsuit) would be;
Mushroom(s) – 2%
Water – 82%
MSG – 6%
Cornstarch – 8%
Voodoo (because for some reason, people still order them) – 2%
Ditch it altogether and go fresh!
1 cup brown mushrooms, sliced
1 cup white button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup fresh shitake mushrooms, remove the stems and slice them
1/2 Birch mushrooms, break it apart from the root
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
Half an onion, chopped
2 cups vegetable stock
100 ml cream
1 tablespoon butter
1. Heat a rather large and shallow pan with oil and butter.
2. Toss in your chopped onions and sautee till they’re slightly translucent. Add your garlic and sautee till it’s fragrant. Toss in all your prepared mushrooms and add a pinch of salt.
3. Add black pepper and your herbs. When the mushrooms look slightly wilted, add your stock. Lower your heat to a medium low and let it reduce to a desired thickness.
4. Add your cream and stir. Let it reduce again. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
5. Spoon half the amount of the soup into a blender and pulse. I prefer some bits and pieces of chunky mushroom so I didn’t blend the entire batch. If you like really creamy mushroom soup you can blend everything.
6. Pour it back to the pot and re-heat under a low fire.
7. Eat with cheese twists, toasts or plain.