This came up from an impromptu baking need. But alas, it didn’t last very long from the oven to the table. 🙂 I have had this idea in my mind for quite some time and never got down to making it. It’s so easy, just 3 ingredients and a quick bake in the oven. I made them quite small because I wanted to just pop the whole thing in my mouth as though they were chips. My son enjoyed this very much. He wanted his Dad’s portion which I kept some behind.
The first roll, I cut the palmiers a little too thick and they expanded in the oven. Make sure to cut them rather thinly if you want them fast and crunchy. Because I was using puff pastry squares here, I could only roll the palmiers twice to the middle. I suppose if you use the sheet type and roll it out yourself, you’ll get more swirls in the middle. But I had a blast doing this, both eating and making it and was pretty bummed when it was gone cos it was the last batch of my puff pastry.
Puff pastry squares (or sheets)
1 beaten egg mix with a little water
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180C. Line your
tray with baking paper.
2. Take each square and spread nutella on top but not
all the way to the sides. Don’t spread too thick because
you might just squeeze everything out when you slice
3. Roll from both sides to meet in the middle.
4. Cut them horizontally about 1cm. Make sure each palmier is even thickness to cook at the same time.
5. Place them on the baking tray.
6. Egg-wash the tops only.
7. Bake for about 30 mins.
8. Cool slightly before eating.