I’ve caught the pickling bug, I don’t know how it came about and quite honestly have never really cared for it till for some reason, I crave for this dish. I thought about eating salads with pickled red onions, eating burgers with pickled red onions on the side, having a juicy minute steak with pickled red onions, having a Latin night with pickled red onions….then an eureka struck me, I was about to visit a good friend in two days, we don’t get to see each other a lot due to our schedules but why not give this to her as a present as well? I think if someone a gave me a jar of some homemade goodness I’d be very happy.
1 large red Spanish onion (these bulbs are not exactly the cheapest but one big one would be enough for two medium sized mason jars)
Vinegar (enough to fill two jars)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
A few black peppercorns
1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
1. Slice the red onions into thin strips.
2. Heat a pan with the vinegar, sugar, salt, peppercorns and fennel seeds, not to a fierce boil….more like gentle bubbles and heat. Let your solution cool a bit.
3. Divide your onions into two, washed and dried mason jars.
4. Pour in your vinegar and screw the lid on tight.
5. They should be about ready to eat in 4-5 days.