This is one of those recipes where I can’t believe I waited so long to make and when I did make it, I can’t believe how easy and hassle-free it was and when I ate it, I can’t believe something so simple could be so good. To think I could’ve serve this at parties or to a small crowd without putting myself through so much work.
I used the puff pastry squares for this. I used 4 pieces of squares, attach them together at the edges to make a big square and then just cut them into strips. I used the squares mainly because I don’t need to roll it out anymore and the thickness of it is just nice for these cheese twists. I used to love going to bakeries and getting those long cheese-bread thing but lately, it’s more bread than cheese. So this was a real nice alternative. I purposely scatter the cheese beyond the sides so when you pick the twists up after they’re baked, you’ll get this nice layer of parmesan crisps or Frico and trust me, they’re really addictive!
PARMESAN CHEESE TWISTS RECIPE
Puff pastry squares
Grated parmesan cheese
1 beaten egg
Mixed sesame seeds (optional)
1. Line a baking tray with baking paper and spray some baking spray on it. Pre-heat your oven to 180C.
2. Take four pieces of puff pastry squares and attach them together at the edges to make a big square sheet.
3. Use a roller cutter or knife and just cut out strips from the sheet.
4. Carefully twist each strip till they look like coiled ribbons. Then place them on the baking tray. Once you’ve twisted all the strips of puff pastry and line them on the tray, brush each strip with egg wash but don’t be fastidious about it, it’s more for the cheese and seeds to adhere to the twists (below).
5. Scatter a generous helping of grated Parmesan all over the twists and beyond the sides.
6. Scatter randomly the mixed sesame seeds.
7. Bake in the oven for 30 – 45 mins till the twists have expanded and has turned golden brown.
8. It’s best to eat them while they’re still warm.