I had wanted to bake a red velvet something for the longest time but I have a tendency to stay away from a whole cake because it might be just too much for my family to consume. But in touch with this holiday season lately, I thought red velvet brownies would go so well. I found this recipe on freutcake and the picture just reminded me of those marbled designs on Christmas baubles.
I was thinking about the name, the original would be Red Velvet Cream Cheese Brownies…but it’s not just cream cheese, there’s other stuff in it. I thought of Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies but that might be too confusing too. So I think the current name would best describe these morsels.
I must say, I was mighty pleased at how they turned out, having never made a Red Velvet. They’re just sooo pretty to look at. Not too mention the bright colours. I had fun propping for this shoot and it also meant the opportunity to initiate my potted mint. 🙂
The recipe states to spread the cheese mixture on the top, as soon as I poured the cream cheese mixture into the brownie mix, it didn’t float on top at all and definitely not spreadable. So, I’m not sure of what the original creator meant, or maybe my brownie mix was too wet, but I did follow the recipe to a T. I just dolloped the cheese all over the brownie mix and used a skewer stick to make the swirls instead. It worked out beautifully well too.
As soon as I made these, I suddenly saw and influx of red velvet goodies on Foodgawker. Haha. Well, if you can’t beat them, dance with them!!
RED VELVET CHEESE-MARBLED BROWNIES RECIPE
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon red food coloring
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup all purpose flour
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Foil and butter your 8×8 inch pan, I use the foil so I can easily lift up everything to cut into blocks later.
2. To make the brownie layer, mix melted butter, vanilla, food colouring and vinegar together. In a separate bowl, whisk together sieved flour, cocoa powder, salt and sugar.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold gently until incorporated. With an electric mixer, whisk in the eggs one by one.
4. To make the cheese marble, blend together cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl. Dollop the cream cheese all over the red brownie batter in the pan. Use a skewer stick or a butter knife to make the marble-swirls.
5. Bake in the oven for 30 mins. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
I am submitting this to the Christmas Giveaway in
The Sweet Spot
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #14:
Creative Christmas Bakes (December 2011)
hosted by Hankerie