The word de-constructed has been used too much till it becomes rather overrated. Elizabeth Falkner, the ninja chef, said she’d rather use the word remodelled, so I’m going with that too. This dish is made with the last batch of hot Italian sausage mix. If I had had some hot dog buns, I would’ve made the classic sub but I didn’t so I tend to just bake everything with an egg on top. This makes a delicious brunch or lunch.
This probably would’ve remained uber-healthy but I went and ruined it by adding lots of cheddar cheese on top. I can’t help it. It’s a weakness.
REMODELLED SAUSAGE, PEPPER AND ONION SUB RECIPE
Hot Italian sausage meat
1 red onion, sliced to wedges
1 red pepper, sliced to strips
3 garlic, cloves chopped
5 tablespoons of marinara sauce (optional)
A handful of grated cheddar cheese
Fresh parsley to garnish
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180C. In a frying pan, sautee the onions and garlic in some olive oil. Add the sausage meat.
2. Sautee the meat till it had 80% lost its colour. Add the pepper.
3. Cook till it has soften slightly. Season with salt, black pepper and Italian seasoning.
4. In a baking dish, plate your sausage, onion and pepper. Dollop the marinara sauce all over.
5. Add cheese on top and finally, make a small well in the centre and break an egg on top.
6. Bake in the oven for about 10 – 15 mins, until the egg is cooked but still runny.
7. Eat while it’s warm with bread or by itself.