To make anything into soups….sometimes all you need is a blender, or those fancy hand-held mixer thing (which I’m totally coveting). Personally, I think broccoli doesn’t have that strong a flavour but once you blend them into soups, it’s a whole different matter. Somebody probably got this idea to make it into soup after the broccoli and cheese dip thing, or was it the other way round?
I love how the green looks in this dish. I wonder why eateries don’t serve more of such soups rather than overrated mushroom soup, not that I have anything against mushroom soup, they’re one of my favourite soups AAMOF (as a matter of fact). But everytime you go somewhere to eat, you see ‘soup of the day’ and when you enquire what it is, 80% it’s mushroom. Why? I have a sneaky suspicion that to speed up work process they would use canned soups with that flavour, the most common one the rhymes with ‘dumbell‘. 🙂
Do give this soup a chance, even if you hate broccoli or hate vegetables…it’s SOUP! You don’t have to chew it, you just down it. And it has cheese in it too! Added like!
BROCCOLI AND CHEDDAR SOUP RECIPE
For two servings
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
1 potato, small dices
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Water / Vege stock
1. Melt butter in a deep pan with some olive oil to prevent burning. Sautee the onion and garlic before tipping in the potato. Sautee for 2 mins and then add broccoli florets. Toss together quickly.
2. Add water or vege stock till just about cover all the ingredients. Let it come to a boil and then let it simmer till the potatoes are fork tender. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Transfer everything into a blender and pulse till you have a nice creamy, green soup. Pour everything back into the pan.
4. Put on low heat. You might want to add cream at this point but I left it out. Add your cheddar cheese but save a bit for garnishing.
5. Stir to melt the cheese into the soup. Taste and adjust seasoning.
6. Serve warm and eat with croutons and more cheddar cheese on top.