Before anything, FYI moment; sliders are just small burgers or mini sandwiches as one might call it. Why won’t they just call it a small burger instead of a slider? I don’t know, maybe because it’s so mini it just slides off your hands to your mouth. But to quote a food writer and here I am being a noob because I forgot his name, ‘Sliders are little bites of awesome.’
The choice to make these sliders came about when I ask hubster, who was at the store, to get me some burger buns. He called back and said there were none of the normal size but there were these little buns and wondered if it was okay. I was puzzled because small buns could mean a sweet bun or potato bun or something of that sort. No matter, I asked him to just get a pack, if it turns out to be a sweet bun, we’ll just eat it as a snack.
It wasn’t a sweet bun, just slightly smaller than a dinner roll. So I just improvised burgers to sliders. My personal principal on a slider is that you can’t have more than 3 things on it because it’s so small. And since it’s only that much, make the flavours count.
As you can see from the pictures, that is a normal toothpick right down the center of the sliders. Each of them are just slightly smaller than my palm. I ate about 3 of these and hubster ate almost 4, along with chips on the side. I guess when you eat a slider, you won’t overeat and you’d feel more satisfied because there were second and third helpings. But this could just as easily be made into a normal size burger, and if you’re not into pork, just replace the meat with chicken, turkey or beef.
SIMPLE PORK SLIDERS RECIPE
Small slider buns
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1. In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and cook the chopped green pepper and onion till they’re soft but not too cooked. Let it cool.
2. Mix the cooked onions and pepper to the ground pork and season with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, while the pork sits to infuse its flavours, you can do your caramelised onions. You may do all this the day before.
4. Shape your patties into little golf ball sizes. Press it down and make an indentation in the middle. The meat will swell up again during cooking.
5. Cook your patties on a grill or a frying pan. 2 mins on one side and 1 on the other, but this is depending on the size and thickness of your patty.
6. Butter the slider buns, place the patty on top and cheese. If you’d like to take an extra step to melt the cheese on a grill, it’s up to you. Or you can place the bun without the top cover on a pan, squirt a bit of water and cover with a lid to let the steam melt the cheese.
7. Top generously with the caramelised onions.