So, slow roasted tomatoes, I keep hearing the raves about how easy it is to do so today I’m here to tell you…they’re absolutely right. I actually don’t know why I put off doing this for the longest time. Let me admit first that I’m not a fan of raw tomatoes except salsas because I consider it somewhat cooked in lime juice, but if I can avoid it, I would not eat raw tomatoes.
So I had some odd and end pieces of tomatoes left in the fridge, plus a whole box of cherry tomatoes. Normally, roasting tomatoes would take a long time, sometimes even overnight but cherry tomatoes take shorter time. I’m quite surprised at the flavour they took on even after that garlic-herb coating. It actually tastes like savoury raisins. Slow-roasted tomatoes are just the speedier version of sun-dried tomatoes. Supermarkets are selling sun-dried tomatoes for like RM15-RM20 a pop. I think making your own is just as good.
I’m so doing a pasta dish with this first so stay tuned for the recipe. Also, this is going down as another gift idea for family and friends. Christmas is coming people!
SLOW ROASTED TOMATOES RECIPE
Cherry tomatoes, halved (if you want to mix cherry and other types of tomatoes, cut them into the size of the cherry tomatoes to even out cooking time)
Grated garlic, about 3 cloves
1. Mix all the coating ingredients together in a big bowl except for the salt and pepper.
2. Prep your tomatoes, cut the cherry tomatoes in halves and the bigger ones into smaller pieces.
3. Pour all your tomatoes into the oil coating and toss them with your hands. Make sure every tomato gets coated.
4. Add the salt and black pepper and coat again.
5. Pour them onto a tray lined with foil. Spread them out with the flesh facing upwards.
6. Roast slowly in a fairly low temp, about 150-160 degrees Celcius for 2-3 hours. When the tomatoes look really wrinkled and dehydrated, they’re ready.
7. Eat immediately or jar them steeped in extra virgin olive oil and keep in the fridge until needed.