This was making use of the Raya bazaar selling all sorts of goodies. I bought some beef rendang home and had initially planned to pair it with some turmeric fried cabbage. But my turmeric was looking all wonky which I suspect it’s due to passed expiration date. So I scatter to find the best next solution….my curry powder. I have no idea how the taste would come out cos it won’t be a curry-curry dish like with lots of gravy but I went with it anyways.
It was good….not fantastic, but good. I think I need to adjust the seasoning again after this but when the cabbage was paired together with the rendang, it makes up for a pretty awesome meal. This was my favourite simple way of eating them, rendang, plain rice, an egg and the cabbage. If there were some papadams then it would be even more awesome but this was good nonetheless.
White cabbage, shredded
3 shallots, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 red chillies, sliced
2 twigs of curry leaves, just the leaves
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon light soy sauce
1. Fry the sliced shallots in some cooking oil first till they’re slightly browned but not too much.
2. Dish it out and set it aside. With the same oil, fry the garlic, mustard seeds, curry leaves and chillies together for 5 seconds.
3. Add the cabbage and bring back the shallots and toss till the cabbage has somewhat soften. Lower the heat.
4. Add soy sauce and curry powder.
5. Season with white pepper and some water for moisture. Taste and adjust.
6. Eat with plain white rice accompanied with rendang or curries.