This is a staple soup in my house. I have like 4 types of staple soup in my house that is easy to put together, delicious and comforting. This white radish soup was from my mom’s place. When she made it, I didn’t appreciate it all that much cause I was picky about veges. Nowadays, that is not the case. I came to love all sorts of soups when I lived in KL for so long. This soup is also an easy way to get kids to eat veges because the radish will be soft and full of flavour after boiling it with the ribs.
By adding the Chinese cabbage you can also make it a full meal with white rice. When you’re sick or feeling a bit ill, this soup will comfort you to the core.
White Radish and Pork Ribs Soup
- 350 gms pork ribs
- 250 gms white radish/ daikon
- 200 gms Chinese cabbage chopped optional
- 15 pieces of red dates
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- Salt to taste
- Blanch the pork ribs in boiling water. Strain to get rid of blood and impurities.
- Peel and chop white radish in chunks.
- Chop Chinese cabbage into fairly large pieces.
- Place blanched pork ribs, white radish with red dates in a soup pot.
- Add water until just covering the ingredients. Add white pepper.
- Turn on high heat, bring it to a rolling boil.
- Cover with lid. Let it boil for 2 hours.
- Before the last 20 mins, add chopped Chinese cabbage.
- Taste soup and adjust taste with salt. Serve.