This is a very quick pickled side dish. No cooking involved. You don’t even have to pair this just with Japanese food, it goes rather well with say…..a simple fried chicken, or fried fish, certain rice dishes or even noodles. Basically, you use an assortment of vegetables like celery, peppers, bean sprouts….I used just two cause they’re a staple in my pantry.
YASAI NO SOKUSEKI-SUKE
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1/4 cup Japanese rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sake
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
Water (to thin it out if you feel it’s too salty or too sour)
1. Shred your vegetables and put them in a bowl.
2. Mix your pickling liquid together and whisk thoroughly.
3. Pour the liquid onto the vegetables and toss around a bit to coat.
4. Let it sit in the fridge for about 2 – 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve with sprinkled sesame seeds.