Ever since I started this blog, I have this tendency to purchase certain ingredients I normally would not buy on a normal basis and think of what I can do with it at home. This time round, it was zucchinis. I’m not a big fan of cucumbers, but strangely…I like zucchinis or courgettes. Whenever I make my vegetable stock, I would use corn on the cob. When the stock is done, I had to think of what to do with the corn. Not having the heart to throw it away like that I’d normally make corn soup or corn porridge for my son but here is an appetiser that would put leftover corn to good use.
These fritters were super yummy although my son was not a fan because of the cumin. Haha! My husband is not a fan of corn so I didn’t bother serving him this dish either. That strange man does not like any small rounded stuff in his food.
ZUCCHINI & CORN FRITTERS RECIPE
Fresh cooked corn
1 Zucchini, shredded
Spring onions, sliced
1 cup all-purpose flour (more or less)
2 teaspoons cumin
Sunflower oil for frying
1. Shred your zucchini onto a tea towel and squeeze out the rest of the liquid. Shear the corn off the cob.
2. Place the corn and the shredded zucchini into a deep, large bowl. Add your cumin, chilli flakes, salt and pepper. Mix it together with your hands.
3. Tip the flour in and crack in an egg to bind everything together. You should have a sticky consistency but not liquidy. The fillings should still be very visible.
4. Use a spoon and scoop them onto a shallow frying pan with sunflower oil. While they are frying, press them down gently to get a flatter form.
5. Fry both sides till they’re cooked. Drain on kitchen paper. Eat while it’s warm with a simple tartar sauce.
Back 2 Back with Zucchini Fries